If you are suffering from ankle pain, visit Ramos Center today for effective relief with a variety of therapies offered by our interventional pain physicians. For further details, please contact us by phone or schedule an appointment online. Our locations in Bradenton FL, Sarasota FL, Venice FL, Englewood FL, Port Charlotte FL, Dunedin FL, and St. Petersburg, FL are easily accessible and ready to serve you.REQUEST A NEW PATIENT APPOINTMENT
Ankle pain treatment specialists are interventional pain doctors who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of ankle pain and associated injuries or conditions. These specialists possess expertise in treating ankle and lower leg disorders and injuries, and they are equipped to manage pain and administer physical therapy in this area. Additionally, they may have training in other therapies, such as PRP therapy, which can be utilized to alleviate ankle pain.
What are the indications of ankle pain?
Ankle pain symptoms may differ based on the cause of the discomfort and may range from mild to severe. Injuries that lead to ankle pain can include:
- Torn Ligament:
- Swelling near the ankle joint
- Feeling of instability
- Tenderness when touched
- Pain when placing weight on the ankle
- Popping sound during injury
- Pulled Muscle:
- Swelling or redness
- Muscle cramps and weakness
- Loss of balance or motion
- Restricted range of motion
- Damaged Ligament:
- Increased pain with physical activity
- Pain & tenderness near the arch
- Bruised arch of foot
- Swelling and bruising at the injury site
- Inability to bear weight on the injured foot
What are the indications of serious ankle pain?
Several symptoms can signify severe ankle pain, such as:
- Substantial swelling
- Misalignment of bones
- Unrelieved severe pain
- Marked tenderness upon touch
- Inability to walk
- Inability to bear weight on the ankle
- Change in skin color (turning blue)
- Bleeding or a break in the skin
What are the causes of ankle pain that aren’t injury-related?
Although injuries are the leading cause of ankle pain, other conditions can lead to pain in this region, including:
- Arthritis – One of the most common causes of ankle pain without a clear injury is arthritis. Millions of people worldwide are affected by various forms of arthritis that can affect the ankles, such as rheumatoid arthritis (an autoimmune disease) and osteoarthritis (a degenerative condition).
- Gout – Another common condition that affects the feet and ankles is gout, which is caused by uric acid buildup in the joints. This acid can crystallize, leading to inflammation in the soft tissues during movement. Typically, uric acid accumulates due to an imbalanced diet, and eating a healthier diet and managing weight can often help with gout-related ankle pain.
- Bursitis – Bursae, fluid-filled sacs that cushion joints and promote movement, can become inflamed, resulting in bursitis. This condition is characterized by swelling, stiffness, and pain.
- Infection – Any part of the body, including the ankles, can be affected by infection. This is more likely to occur if the ankle has an open wound, or after foot or ankle surgery, as bacteria can enter an opening in the skin.
- Scleroderma – Scleroderma refers to a group of conditions characterized by thickening of the skin and/or connective tissues. If this condition affects the ankles, it can result in stiffness and pain.
What are the causes of severe ankle pain?
Severe ankle pain can result from various conditions, injuries, and diseases, such as:
- Sprains, strains, and fractures
- Ruptured Achilles tendon
- Avulsion fracture
- Fibula fracture
- Stress fracture
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ankle impingement
- Metabolic disorders
To schedule an appointment with our ankle pain treatment specialist, please call us today, or visit one of our seven convenient locations in Bradenton FL, Sarasota FL, Venice FL, Englewood FL, Port Charlotte FL, Dunedin FL, and St. Petersburg, FL. We serve patients from Bradenton FL, Sarasota FL, Palmetto FL, Laurel FL, Venice FL, Englewood FL, Cortez FL, Memphis FL, Port Charlotte FL, and Dunedin FL. We are committed to providing exceptional service to you.